Monday, May 16, 2011

HW 55 - Culminating Project - Care of the Dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3bBby-Vb8



For this project I interviewed people I know and tried to figure out how they want their loved ones to care for their bodies after death. All of the people I interviewed discussed cremation and all of the questions I asked were versions of questions asked in the typical brochure on planned death. The one that I chose to use as a model for inquiring this information was called Dignity. The link above shows what I believe to be the best of 3 of the four people I interviewed. The first person I interviewed was a girl my age who I did not have the option to record her voice for the video.

Interview with friend, A:
My friend, A, decided to be anonymous. She also did not want a video taken because she insecure about being in front of the camera. 

I asked:
Do you know what cemetery you want to be buried in? She responded, "No, I want to  be spread somewhere after being cremated"
I asked if she wanted some sort of ceremony, she said, "I would like to have a wake, or something but then i want a party for people to enjoy themselves. My life is not boring so why should my funeral?"

That was the only actual piece of information i got from her. I did this so I would have something to compare my older relatives responses. 




Interview with (B):

For this part I modeled the questions after at pamphlet I obtained from a memorial service institution run by our guest speaker from the company called Dignity. Many of the questions are very personal things such as social security number and phone number which I found it unnecessary to include in the project.

Question #1:
What memorial park/ cemetery do you prefer?
No

Question #2:
Do you what to be embalmed? No I would like to be cremated.

Question #3:
If you want to be cremated, What type of disposition? Burial niche scattering garden Cremation garden or any other?
I would like to be spread at sea. It sounds like it takes up less space and use less materials.

Question #4:
Would you like some sort of plaque? If so what would you want to say in it?
No.

Question #5
Would you like any specific items to be placed with the remains? 
No.

This interview was with one of my uncles who is relatively younger. He seemed to be really decisive about what he wants. He also was watching a movie while i was asking him these questions which lead him being less interested. When compared to my friend who is my age he gave way more concrete answers. This according to the guest speaker means that his family will have less to deal with and an easier time mourning. This part of the funeral home typical practices I enjoy. If people care about there funerals and what happens after they die it takes that little stress off of their family's when they die. For B, he did not have a specific location picked out but he gave a general idea.
Interview with C:



               C also indicated that she thinks cremation will be best option for her.
Question #1:
It doesn't matter.

Question #2:
Would you like to be cremated or buried?
Cremated because I don't want to be trapped underground.

Question #3:
If cremated what type of disposition? Burial, Scattering?
I would like to be spread in a forest some ware near the town I grew up in. 

Question #4:
Would you like some sort of plaque? If so what would you want to say in it?
No.

Question #5:
Would you like some sort of things placed with your remains?
no.

It is surprise  to me how the people in the interview including C all said that they did not want any sort of plaque to be remembured by. What is the reason for this? Plaques are not particularly harm full, compared to other things.
Interview with D: 
Do you know the location you would like to be buried or placed?
Not particularly

Question #2
Would you like to be cremated or buried?
I would like to be cremated.

Question #3
If cremated how would you like to go about disposition?
I would like to be spread out in random places across Sicily. I think that would be a great experience for me and for who ever does spreading. I suppose I should start saving up for this. (jokingly)
Question #4
Would you like to have some sort of plaque?
No I am a pretty simple person. I don't need anything special. I don't want any memorials. (says the girl who wants to be spread around Sicily.)

Over All Analysis:


I also spoke to two other relatives, one said



2 comments:

  1. from sophia age 12
    i think the when i die i want to be creamated and my loved ones to save the ashes, i dont want to be in a funeral because that is to sad. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I can’t help but think after reading your blog, that the interviews and responses to your answers may be a little reserved because the topic is something many people do not consider in depth before they die.
    It sounds like several people in the video are uncomfortable answering the questions. You can hear several people laughing in the background, maybe because the subject makes them uncomfortable.
    I appreciate your blog because it does make me think that if I make things clear for my family the whole process of my death may be easier for them.
    Most profound question and response on your blog, to me personally, was your quote from interview A;
    “I asked if she wanted some sort of ceremony, she said, "I would like to have a wake, or something but then i want a party for people to enjoy themselves. My life is not boring so why should my funeral?"
    Some of the most positive funerals I’ve attended had parties, or wakes with an optimistic celebration of the deceased's life. I am curious to know what kind of gathering the other people interviewed in-vision.

    ReplyDelete